find which Python libraries are most influential in scientific research

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Nov 14 01:05:43 EST 2015

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 02:58 pm, Ian Kelly wrote:

> FYI, the depsy.org site is completely unusable on my Android phone.

On Firefox under Linux, the page comes up blank.

If I use the NoScript plugin to allow Javascript from the despy.org site,
the page now takes twice as long to load, and still comes up blank.

If I then tell NoScript to allow Javascript from angular-io.github.io, it
eventually loads an extremely garish, multi-coloured page with no dynamic
content. As far as I can see, everything is static text and links, with a
very few GIANT icons, which makes the dependency on Javascript *completely*
unnecessary and quite obnoxious.

For the record, the page contains just under 350 words, and loading it
requires 21 web requests for 947.40 KB of data, or equivalent to
approximately 2700 bytes per word.

Between the difficulty of getting the page to display, and the unfortunate
look of the page once it actually does (it looks like it was designed for
an audience of five year olds, with brightly coloured purple, red, blue,
green, yellow backgrounds and giant-sized text), I wouldn't be in a rush to
explore the project any further.

I wish the authors good luck with the project, but they're not doing
themselves (or us) any favours with the design of the webpage.

--
Steven