Trying out Kivy

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Fri Nov 13 11:33:06 EST 2015

I tried out the ‘standard’ Kivy application:
from kivy.app import App
from kivy.uix.button import Button

class TestApp(App):
    def build(self):
        return Button(text='Hello World')

TestApp().run()

When using python2 I see some exceptions and OSErrors, but it runs.

When using python3 I get:
    [CRITICAL          ] [Text        ] Unable to find any valuable Text provider at all!
    pygame - ImportError: No module named 'pygame'
      File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/kivy/core/__init__.py", line 57, in core_select_lib
        fromlist=[modulename], level=0)
      File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/kivy/core/text/text_pygame.py", line 12, in <module>
        import pygame

    pil - ImportError: No module named 'PIL'
      File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/kivy/core/__init__.py", line 57, in core_select_lib
        fromlist=[modulename], level=0)
      File "/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/kivy/core/text/text_pil.py", line 8, in <module>
        from PIL import Image, ImageFont, ImageDraw

    [CRITICAL          ] [App         ] Unable to get a Text provider, abort.

I tried to install pygame and PIL with pip3, but that did not find
anything. Is there another way to install those dependencies?

But more importantly: can I develop with python3 for the Android?
Because the primary reason to use Kivy is to develop applications for Android.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer