cross platform alternative for signal.SIGALRM?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Nov 12 05:15:52 EST 2015

On 11/12/2015 2:37 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Christian Gollwitzer <auriocus at gmx.de> wrote:
>> My understanding of async is that it creates an event loop. In which case
>> the loop has no chance to run within a block of code that computes anything,
>> is that correct?
>
> This is correct. At its simplest, asynchronous code is an abstraction
> over the select() call,

True on Unix-derived systems, where 'select' includes the various
derivatives.  It is also an abstraction over the Windows completion
calls, which are quite different.  The latter is why one must generally
use a different event loop on Windows.  The point is that asyncio
provides an *abstraction* such that after choosing the event loop, the
rest of one's code is os-agnostic.

--
Terry Jan Reedy