How to get 'od' run?

fl rxjwg98 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 22:04:36 EST 2015

Hi,

I am learning python. I see a previous post has such code:

   >>> data = '"binääridataa"\n'.encode('utf-8')
   >>> f = open('roska.txt', 'wb')
   >>> f.write(data)
   17
   >>> f.close()

The .encode methods produced a bytestring, which Python likes to display
as ASCII characters where it can and in hexadecimal where it cannot:

   >>> data
   b'"bin\xc3\xa4\xc3\xa4ridataa"\n'

An "octal dump" in characters (where ASCII, otherwise apparently octal)
and the corresponding hexadecimal shows that it is, indeed, these bytes
that ended up in the file:

$ od -t cx1 roska.txt

When I run the above line with python 2.7, it does not recognize 'od'.

Is it from a package? Or some internal function?

Thanks,