Question about math.pi is mutable

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Nov 11 06:20:26 EST 2015

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 07:30 pm, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>:
>
>> Since compile, eval and exec are Python built-ins, if it doesn't
>> include a byte-code compiler, it isn't Python. It's just a subset of
>> Python.
>
> compile() can be implemented trivially, or in any other manner. It
> simply needs to return a "code object." I suspect even a string might
> work as a code object.

Sure. That's just quality of implementation. In principle, a Python
interpreter might even operate without any byte-code at all, parsing each
line of code before executing it.

Nevertheless, whatever quality of implementation compile/eval/exec offer,
they *must* be available at runtime, otherwise the language is just a
subset of Python.

--
Steven