using binary in python

Larry Hudson orgnut at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 22:53:18 EST 2015

On 11/10/2015 12:14 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 22:20:25 -0800, Larry Hudson via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> declaimed the following:
>
>> Of course it can.  The only difference a text file and a binary file is the way it's opened.
>> Text files are opened with 'r' or 'w', while binary files are opened with 'rb' or 'wb'.  Being
>> different modes, the reading/writing is handled differently.  One obvious difference, the lines
>> of a text file are marked by ending them with a newline character, so it's easy to read/write
>> the text line-by-line.  But the data in a binary file is completely arbitrary and is much
>
> 	To be strict -- a text file has <some> system defined means of marking
> line endings. UNIX/Linux uses just a <LF> character; Windows uses the pair
> <CR><LF>. TRS-DOS used just <CR> for end of line. Some operating systems
> may have used count-delimited formats (and then there is the VMS FORTRAN
> segmented records with start and end segment bits).

The main purpose of my message was to get across the idea of separating the actual data (as
binary values) and the way this data is displayed (to the user/programmer).  They are two
entirely different concepts, and the OP was obviously confused about this.  But of course,
you're right -- I was careless/imprecise in some of my descriptions.

      -=- Larry -=-