Question about math.pi is mutable

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue Nov 10 05:33:34 EST 2015

In a message of Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:10:09 +1100, Ben Finney writes:
>Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:
>
>> Ben, I fear that you are not paying attention to me :-)
>
>Possibly, though I also think there's miscommunication in this thread.
>
>You speak of “compile time” and “run time”. You also speak of what the
>compiler can do, at run time.
>
>I am a Bear of Little Brain, but: Isn't anything that the *compiler*
>does, by definition done at *compile* time?

No.

We used to have a pretty strict defintion about what a compiler was, and
what an interpreter was.  You did the compile things at compile time,
and then you the the interpreter things at runtime.

No more.  We have Just in Time compilers.  They do their compiling
at run time.  Or perhaps 'there is no such thing as compile time
any more'.

Laura