Getting response by email reply message

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Mon Nov 9 17:45:20 EST 2015

On 2015-11-09 13:53, zljubisic at gmail.com wrote:
> > You have a couple options that occur to me:
> >
> > 1) set up an SMTP server somewhere (or use the existing one you're
> > receiving this email at in the event you're getting it as mail
> > rather than reading it via NNTP or a web interface) to receive the
> > mail, then create a Python script to poll that inbox (usually
> > POP3 or IMAP) for messages addressed.  The mails can be
> > extracted, parsed, and deleted
>
> Why should I setup the SMTP server? If my email is on gmail server,
> I can read the messages from there from time to time.

Thus my suggestion "or use the existing one you're receiving this
email at")

Once you have an SMTP+IMAP server like Gmail, you can use
"imaplib" (or "poplib") from the stdlib to log into your Gmail
account, pull down the messages (I presume you identify them somehow,
either by tag, sorting them into a given folder, or something in the
Subject line), and process the message body.

> For now, I could set some time interval, let's say every five
> minutes for mail checking. I could parse the mail, but at the
> moment I am not sure how mail body should look like in order to be
> sure that I have parsed the information correctly.

With imaplib/poplib, you get email.message items back.  You
can .walk() through the mime-tree extracting each part and then
searching it for whatever expression you need to determine whether
the vote was a Yes or No.

Check out the docs on
https://docs.python.org/2/library/email.message.html

-tkc