[Ubuntu] PyQt5

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Nov 8 18:05:32 EST 2015

On 11/8/2015 11:03 AM, Andrew Diamond wrote:
> On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 10:13:25 PM UTC-5, Andrew Diamond
> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm fairly new to Python, and installed pyqt5 and began working
>> through the examples at http://zetcode.com/gui/pyqt5/menustoolbars/
>> However, whenever I click one of the buttons or menus in the
>> example apps I run that is supposed to quit the application, it
>> locks up.

What is 'it'?  And what does 'lock up' mean?  Did the gui freeze and not
disappear?  Or did IDLE itself freeze, and even the menu quit working?

>> This happens with all the examples I installed that
>> handle code to quit the app.
>>
>> Running Ubuntu 15.10, and installed pyqt5 via:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install python3-pyqt5 sudo apt-get install qtcreator

> I just read somewhere that the issue could be because I was trying to
> run these examples from within Idle.

I am an IDLE maintainer.  Am I to take it that everything ran fine
before you tried to quit?  If not, I would want to know why and try to fix.

If you run tut.py from an IDLE editor, IDLE tries to run it the same as
if you ran it at a console in the tut.py directory with 'python3 -i
tut.py'.  I can imagine that there might be a problem with the
transition from gui mode to interactive shell mode, though it works for
tkinter apps.  You said 'python3 tut.py' works.  What happens if you add
the '-i' option?  I'd like to know if the transition problem is in
(Py)qt5 or in IDLE's simulation of '-i'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy