[ANN] MicroPython 1.5

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 15:53:33 EST 2015

Hello,

On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 12:08:20 -0700
paul.hermeneutic at gmail.com wrote:

> What is the possibility that MicroPython could be another build from
> the base python.org sources? Python already gets built for a variety
> of architectures. Could a MicroPython be another one? In that way, it
> would always be up to date on language changes.

There's zero possibility for this - MicroPython is from-scratch
implementation carefully optimized for code size and memory usage,
that's how it's up to 50 times smaller than CPython and can run with
~1000 times less RAM than CPython usually runs with.

Support for the latest features is not the aim of MicroPython, instead
it's being able to use the same great language on systems where CPython
simply could never run. That necessitates being on a diet and leaving
out not just the latest lesser-known features, but even quite a few of
old more widely known ones.

That said, the core of the language is there and any Python programmer
should feel straight at home. And it's Python*3*, so it's pretty fresh
anyway, knowing that half of our community still sits on Python2 and
never tried Python3. (Hacking on MicroPython is how I get to use
Python3 myself, on my dayjob we still use Python2).

[]

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com