Python 3.5.0: python.exe is not a valid Windows 32 application

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 11:10:25 EST 2015

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 11:34 PM, Tomáš Beňák <benak.tomas at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have downloaded the Python 3.5.0 installer for x86 (
> https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.5.0/python-3.5.0.exe) and have
> installed it on my Windows XP SP3. The installer run to a successful end,
> but when I try to run python.exe, it ends with an error saying that
> python.exe is not a valid Windows 32 application.
> Is this a bug? Is my Windows XP a problem? Should I try another release of
> Python? Could you provide me with the link?

Your Windows XP is a problem. You have a couple of options: either
upgrade to Vista/7/8/10, or downgrade your Python to 3.4, which does
support XP.

There is also a bug, which is that the installer appears to run
successfully. When Python 3.5.1 is released (currently scheduled for
early December), the installer should detect XP early on and save you
the confusion.

ChrisA