What does “grep” stand for?

Dan Sommers dan at tombstonezero.net
Fri Nov 6 00:31:25 EST 2015

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 19:36:11 -0800, Larry Hudson wrote:

> Anyone besides me remember the CP/M editor Mince (Mince Is Not
> Complete EMACS)?  It was an emacs-like editor, without any e-Lisp or
> other way of extending it.  I believe it was my first exposure to a
> screen-oriented editor.  I quite liked it at that time (but that was a
> looonnng time ago!)

I remember CP/M, but not Mince.  Some of the CP/M boxes I used came with
editors tied to their specific video boards; otherwise, it was ed (which
I'm sure was based on the Unix command of the same name) or MicroPro
WordMaster.

Around that same time frame was Programma Improved Editor on an
Apple II.  (Apple PIE.  Get it?)

old'ly yours,
Dan