Re: Snake Error 🐍

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Thu Nov 5 15:02:15 EST 2015

Am 05.11.15 um 15:18 schrieb Chris Angelico:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 1:08 AM, Mahan Marwat <mahanmarwat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When I am trying to paste this 🐍 in Python 3.5.0 IDLE. It crashes.
>> Found it on this page: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1f40d/index.htm
>> Does Python have any problem with other snakes?
>
> Was this on Windows? The Windows builds of Tk have a problem with
> astral characters, so you may not be able to use them there. Try it on
> Linux

Tk does only handle BMP characters. It's a restriction deep inside the
codebase of Tcl 8, which will be lifted only in (the future) Tcl 9.
Howver, it should not crash, rather paste a U+FFFD character. X-Post to
comp.lang.tcl. Can you check the Tk version you use? Try:

import tkinter
tkinter.Tk().eval("info patchlevel")

	Christian