teacher need help!

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 16:31:05 EST 2015

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Storey, Geneva
<geneva.storey at fultonind.kyschools.us> wrote:

> I am having the same problem that we experienced earlier (see below).  This student was exploring random numbers in Python.  She named her program random which caused confusion for her computer.  We deleted the file, but still had the problem.

Was there a lingering .pyc file? The following transcript is from
Linux but still illustrative of the probable cause.

$ echo 'print("Oops!")' > random.py
$ ls random.*
random.py
$ python -c "import random"
Oops!
$ ls random.*
random.py  random.pyc
$ rm random.py
$ python -c "import random"
Oops!
$ rm random.pyc
$ python -c "import random"

> I removed Python from the machine.  When I tried to reinstall, I got the attached error message.  Now it won't even install.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately the attachment doesn't seem to have made it through.
Also, many of the subscribers here read this mailing list as a Usenet
group and wouldn't be able to see the attachment anyway. Please copy
and paste the error instead.