venv issues

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 09:06:24 EST 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Nicholas Cole <nicholas.cole at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Logging in as a different user and creating a venv works perfectly, so
>> it's clearly a config issue somewhere, but I've tried removing
>> ~/.bashrc and ~/.bash_profile and that doesn't help.
>
> What happens if you create a brand new user, then copy in all
> dot-files and directories from your current one? Does it exhibit the
> same problem?

No. And that helped me find the problem.  I had an old

.pydistutils.cfg

file with a line:

install_lib = ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/lib/python/site-packages

That completely upset the venv.

(whether it should have done or not, I don't know. I would have
expected venv to ignore pydistutils.cfg)

Thank you both for your help!

Best,

N.