installer user interface glitch ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 20:50:42 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 03:43 am, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> Remember, people can click a direct download link
>> *on the python.org front page* and be immediately downloading Python 2
>> or 3 for the OS that the browser announces. Where would you put the
>> big fat noisy warning?
>
> Maybe the website shouldn't do that then.
>
> Seriously, if the browser announces Windows XP, it's probably not a good
> idea to download a version which is known not to work with XP...

Maybe Laura would know how plausible this is, but...

I expect most people who go to the front page are looking for the "one
most obvious download". (Okay, we have two - 2.7 and 3.x - but leaving
that aside.) There's detection of what your OS is, which then selects
an appropriate download file; it'd be really cool if a browser UA that
represents XP would cause the link to point to 3.4 instead of 3.5. Or
would that cause more confusion than it solves?

ChrisA