installer user interface glitch ?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Nov 1 20:02:30 EST 2015

On 11/1/2015 10:54 AM, Michiel Overtoom wrote:

>> On 01 Nov 2015, at 16:43, rurpy--- via Python-list
>> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> Why, oh why, do the python.org front page and other pages that
>> offer a Windows download not say a word about it not running on
>> Windows XP?
>
> I'm also curious why Python 3.5 won't run on Windows XP. Which
> features does it use that require Windows 7 or higher?

The initial issue was some system functions that are new in Vista.  Then
came MS's new-with-Win10 toolset that does not support XP.

> Or is the
> decision to not support Windows XP based on Microsoft ending the
> product support lifecycle for XP?

As I explained in another message, it was the other way around, in a
sense.  As long as MS supported XP, Windows CPython devs either
refrained from using new not-in-xp features or maintained old
workarounds.  The has been more or less the same policy for other
versions of Windows.

--
Terry Jan Reedy