UNABLE TO GET IDLE TO RUN

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sun Nov 1 19:50:04 EST 2015

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
> * 'Save-as' is not part of the regular workflow.  It is done once per
> file.  Experienced users who know to avoid stdlib names will not see
> the messages unless they accidentally duplicate one -- which is
> possible because there are now so many.  I personally would like being
> warned.

I think there is something to be said for this.  I've gotten confused a
few times by accidentally re-using a stdlib name, and I'm experienced.

One thing I wish in IDLE is for ctrl-N (or some alternate) to prompt
for a filename immediately: opening a new window, then writing code in
it, and then using Save-as seems unnatural to me.  That would also be
a good time to validate the filename, by searching sys.path or whatever.