installer user interface glitch ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 12:01:41 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 3:39 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Windows XP has now been around for twelve years.
>
> It's older than that.  Release date was August 1, 2001.  More than 14
> years ago.  My how the time flies.
>
> Though more recent versions of Windows have added features (which Python
> now takes advantage of), it doesn't seem to me that we've gained much in
> all that time in overall usability terms, from an end-user persepective.
>  If it weren't for security issues, I'm sure Windows XP would work just
> fine indefinitely for some tasks.  But they will have to stick with
> unmaintained software and any problems that entails.

Hmm. I had a mental notion of XP as a 2003 release. So, it's even more
so: it's been around for fourteen years, and XPSP3 came out seven
years ago, so it's been that long since a major upgrade of any sort.
That's approximately the age of RHEL 5 - and a base XP is slightly
older than RHEL 2.1, the oldest that I can find dates for. If we're
really generous, then, we can accept that XP SP3 is about on par with
a Linux that's shipping Python 2.4. The fact that 2.7 and 3.4 both run
on XP is a tribute to the extensive support that XP *does* have.

ChrisA