installer user interface glitch ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 10:52:27 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 2:43 AM, rurpy--- via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:
> Why, oh why, do the python.org front page and other pages that offer
> a Windows download not say a word about it not running on Windows XP?
>
> Even if one is anal enough to go to the page about the 3.5 release.
>   https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-350/
> a page with a lot of Windows-specific info, there is not a word
> about XP.

A partial answer to that is in PEP 11:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/#microsoft-windows

Windows XP isn't special here. There's no mention of Python 2.7 not
working on Windows 95, because it's simply an unsupported operating
system. The only reason that people keep coming asking about XP and
not (say) Win2K is that there are a lot more XP boxes out there. Do
the other download pages need to stipulate which versions of which
OSes they support, or should that be left up to the installer?

There *is* a plan to have the installer give a better error message
for this situation. But I don't think the web site necessarily has to
have noise about old versions of OSes. Where would you draw the line?

ChrisA