installer user interface glitch ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 05:08:47 EST 2015

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 7:23 PM, t_ciorba--- via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:

> i am not sure what is wrong, but after launching the installer for windows XPsp3 python-3.5.0.exe i couldnt see what i have to select, it was a white board and the only button on it was "cancel".

Yep. The installer isn't very polite at the moment, but when 3.5.1
gets released, it'll be a little clearer in telling you what's going
on - namely, that Python 3.5 does not support Windows XP. You can get
a newer version of Windows (7, 8, 10), or an older version of Python
(3.4), and it should be fine.

Windows XP has now been around for twelve years. It's had its support
run out as many times as Voyager has left the solar system, and if you
really MUST keep using it, one of the costs is going to be that you
also have to use older versions of some software - including Python.
This is going to be increasingly the case. I recommend either
switching to a Unix-based OS (Linux, Mac OS, *BSD, etc) and using Wine
or virtualization to run critical Windows programs, or upgrading to a
newer version of Windows.

ChrisA