What is considered an "advanced" topic in Python?

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Sun May 31 23:18:26 EDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015, at 13:08, Chris Angelico wrote:
> Also, I like talking about Fraction and
> Decimal for the simple reason that they're unobvious; you can poke
> around with Python and discover int and float, and if ever you need
> imaginary/complex numbers, you'll quickly come across complex, but you
> might use Python for years and not realize that decimal.Decimal even
> exists - nor when you'd want it.

Well, isn't that just a byproduct of what problem space you work in? If
someone _does_ know they need a rational or decimal type (e.g. someone
working with money who's clueful enough to know floats won't do),
they'll find these types relatively quickly from a google search -
there's no glut of third-party implementations, and neither is so
obscure nor easily written from scratch that people wouldn't search for
an existing implementation.