What use for reversed()?

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Sun May 31 19:23:02 EDT 2015

On 1 June 2015 at 05:40, fl <rxjwg98 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a string b='1234'. I run: br=reversed(b)
>
> I hope that I can print out '4321' by:
>
> for br in b
>
> but it complains:
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Any time you get a SyntaxError, it means that you have coded something
which does not match the specified syntax of the language version.

Assuming you copied and pasted the above, I can see an error:

    for br in b

The for statement must have a colon at the end of line e.g. a complete for
statement and block is:

for br in b:
    print br

This will output the characters one per line (on Python 3.x), since that is
what the reversed() iterator will return. You will need to do something
else to get it back to a single string.

Have you read through the python tutorials?

https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/

or for Python 2.x:

https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/

Tim Delaney