Fixing Python install on the Mac after running 'CleanMyMac'

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Fri May 29 15:43:18 EDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015, at 12:11, Ned Deily wrote:
> As others
> have noted, running third-party apps like CleanMyMac is probably not a
> good idea, but, even if it is as crappy as its sounds, I would think it
> unlikely that it would be fooling with the Apple-supplied system Python
> in /System/Library/Frameworks.

It sounds very likely to me. These "cleaner" apps are often designed to
remove "unnecessary" system components where the author doesn't know
what they are and doesn't think anyone needs them because his system
runs fine without it, along with the mistaken belief that these take up
a lot of space or that their existence slows down performance.

Looking at the version history of this page:
https://software.com/mac/utilities/cleanmymac/1.10.0

It looks like python is removed or otherwise messed-with by a module
called "System Junk" (earlier "Development Junk").

Version 1.9.4 _claims_ that it fixed: ""Sytem Junk" module reliability
improved and fixed issues with python applications." - but this is
basically an admission that it was messing with the sort of thing that
could cause these issues in the first place.