OpenCV with Python (cv or cv2)

Markos markos at c2o.pro.br
Tue May 26 09:24:30 EDT 2015

Hi,

I want to use OpenCV with Python.

I installed version 2.4.9
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencvlibrary/files/opencv-unix/2.4.9/opencv-2.4.9.zip/)
in debian Squeeze running Python 2.6.6. Using the tutorial:
http://indranilsinharoy.com/2012/11/01/installing-opencv-on-linux/

(I tried to install versions 2.4.11 and 2.4.10 (in Squeeze with python
2.2.6) but I couldn't.)

I lost some time trying to load the module cv2:

> >> Import cv2.cv the cv
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module >>
ImportError: No module named cv2.cv

After a while I realized I could use the cv module. (import cv)

But still I do not understand the differences between the modules cv and
cv2.

Do you suggest any good tutorial about the differences between cv and cv2?

I will have to make many changes in python programs using cv to reuse
the code later with cv2?

Thanks,
Markos