msgfmt.py and pygettext.py are LGPL or LGPL-compatible?

Alan Evangelista alanoe at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon May 25 20:37:36 EDT 2015

On 05/25/2015 08:13 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 4:42 AM, Alan Evangelista
> <alanoe at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>> https://docs.python.org/2/library/gettext.html suggests that I use msgfmt.py
>> and pygettext.py, available
>> at Python Subversion ( http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Tools/i18n/).
>> What license those executable
>> scripts use? Are they LGPL? I want to convert these executables to Python
>> modules and use them in my
>> applications, but I fear the viral effect of LGPL over my code. Could
>> someone clarify if I can do it
>> without legal concerns?
> Where did you get the svn link from? If nothing else, you'll get a
> newer version of the file by looking in Mercurial, as the file you
> link to hasn't changed in some years.

https://docs.python.org/2/library/gettext.html#id4 mentions that
msgfmt.py is in Tools/i18n
directory, but does not mention the source code repository URL, so I had
to look by myself.
I googled "msgfmt.py download" and the SVN URL came up (btw it has the
dir structure
mentioned in Python doc).

I could not find msgfmt.py and pygettext.py quickly looking at the
Mercurial repositories list at
https://hg.python.org/ . Anyway, the 2 files in SVN work fine for me.

> Those files aren't binary executables, so you can just have a look at
> them to see if there's a license comment.

No license in the source files, just authorship. I am not sure that this
is enough to assert
they have no license, though.

> And AFAIK, you should be
> able to keep them completely separate from the rest of your code.

I can use the Python executables directly, but I'd like to convert them
to Python modules
and eliminate the part of the code I do not use, hence my legal question.

Regards,
Alan Evangelista