cl.exe missing

garyr garyr at fidalgo.net
Mon May 25 11:19:52 EDT 2015

I posted this on the Anaconda NG but haven't gotten an answer.

I recently installed Python 2.7 using Miniconda. I'm now trying to build a
Python extension module. My setup.py file is:

    module1 = Extension('pyssound',
    sources=['ssound.cpp', 'pyssound.cpp'])
    setup(name="pyssound",
         version=1.0,
         ext_modules = [module1])

Initially I got the vcvarsall.bat missing error and I found the fix for
that:
    set MSSDK=1
    set DISTUTILS_USE_SDK=1

Now when I run setup I get:

python setup.py build
running build
running build_ext
building 'pyssound' extension
cl.exe /c /nologo /Ox /MD /W3 /GS- /DNDEBUG "-IC:\Documents and
Settings\Owner\M
iniconda\include" "-IC:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Miniconda\PC"
/Tpssound.cpp
 /Fobuild\temp.win32-2.7\Release\ssound.obj
error: command 'cl.exe' failed: No such file or directory

cl.exe is the Visual Studio VS2008 compiler which is the one used to compile
Python 2.7. A search for VS2008 turns up this site:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10986 which mentions
vs2010, 2012 and 2013 but not 2008.

Where do I find VS2008?