Ah Python, you have spoiled me for all other languages

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri May 22 23:31:14 EDT 2015

On 05/22/2015 07:54 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 5/22/2015 5:40 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>
>> Lo these many years ago, I argued that Python is a whole lot more than
>> a programming language:
>>
>>     https://www.tundraware.com/TechnicalNotes/Python-Is-Middleware/
>
> Perhaps something at tundraware needs updating.
> '''
> This Connection is Untrusted
>
> You have asked Firefox to connect securely to www.tundraware.com, but we
> can't confirm that your connection is secure.
>
> Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted
> identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However,
> this site's identity can't be verified.
> '''

Sigh. I blame this as much on the browser.  There's no inherent reason
why a connection to a site secured with a self-signed certificate is
insecure.  In fact it's definitely not.  Browsers need a better way to
deal with self-signed certs, but I think they'd rather we all just pay
up to the cert authorities and buy some false sense of security.

Personally I created my own CA with the wonderful xca program, and sign
all my certs with that.  If a person adds my CA certificate to their
browser, then my sites are trusted (and verified).  But for a public web
page this isn't very automatic.