Camelot a good tool for me OT beauty of Tk

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Fri May 22 15:52:27 EDT 2015

Am 22.05.15 um 15:03 schrieb Laura Creighton:
> I don't know anything about Camelot.  Tkinter produces widgets that are
> in no way as pretty graphically as is expected nowadays -- or indeed for
> at least 15 years.  If this matters to you -- or if you are building for
> customers if it matters to them, then Tkinter is not a good choice.

Tkinter doesn't need to be ugly. At least if you are on Windows or OSX,
you can make near-native looking programs, if you stick to the simple
rule to use ttk everywhere and never try to override background colors
etc. Another important rule is that icons play an important role. A
decent icon set makes a big difference.

An example of a Tk program on Windows 7 is this:

http://artist.bam.de/en/gallery/screenshots/aRTistDemoversionStarted.jpg

Would you spot that it is not a "native" Windows app? It's raw Tcl/Tk
rather than Tkinter, but there is no specific reason why it couldn't be
done in Python/Tkinter. On Linux, yes, the default themes are quite
ugly. There are some workarounds, like loading the bitmap plastik theme,
but this is substantially more (configuration) work.

And in the end a decent look needs a decent designer -  where to place
which widgets, how to set the resizing options, that takes some
experience to get it right.

	Christian