Find if a file existing within 1000s of folder/sub-folder - each file has a unique presence

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu May 21 12:31:51 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-21, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 12:14 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2015-05-21, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>>
>>> import glob
>>> print(glob.glob("c:/abc/def/ghjmain/features/XYZ/*<filename>"))
>>>
>>> Don't use backslashes \ as they have special meaning to Python. Use forward
>>> slashes and let Python convert them as needed.
>>
>> Interesting. I've never heard about this.
>>
>> When will Python convert them?
>
> Actually, it won't ever bother to convert them.

OK, so this isn't some new feature I hadn't heard about due to my
spending most of my time with 2.7. :)

> The Windows file system APIs are quite happy to work with forward
> slashes;

Yep, I knew that -- I have always use forward slashes on Windows (and
DOS before that) when dealing with the file system.

> it's only command-line tools (which conventionally use forward
> slashes to introduce options), and not all of them, which require
> backslashes.

Yup, I was wondering if that was where Python (or its stdlib) would
convert them (which would have surprised me).  Back in the day, you
could change the 'option switch' character from '/' to whatever you
wanted (and as an old Unix guy, I always set it to '-').  Then you
could even use forward slashes on the command line (mostly). But, I
don't think Windows has support that for yonks.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Please come home with
                                  at               me ... I have Tylenol!!