List semantics [was Re: Slices time complexity]

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Wed May 20 07:08:18 EDT 2015

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 4:54:13 AM UTC-4, Gregory Ewing wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > A diagram may help, especially for more complicated situations,
>
> Seems to me that a diagram is far and away the
> easiest and most effective way to convey what's
> really going on. It's difficult to do that with
> words alone, because English isn't really equipped
> to talk about it precisely enough.

FWIW, this was my attempt at explaining names and values:
http://nedbatchelder.com/text/names.html, which I turned
into a PyCon talk this year: http://nedbatchelder.com/text/names1.html

It doesn't get quite as far as slice semantics, but deals with
"refers to" and "change", both of which are tricky to nail down
well.  Not sure I did... :)

--Ned.