Slices time complexity

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue May 19 08:14:19 EDT 2015

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 5:16:29 PM UTC+5:30, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 12:42:50 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> > I sympathize. Can you get Python without getting a language like C
> > first? Can a baby be born without an umbilical cord? Can you skip Newton
> > and go straight to quantum mechanics and relativity? I have noticed some
> > experienced Java programmers are a bit lost in the woods because they
> > don't have an idea of what is going on under the hood.
>
> And how would you classify C# in this scheme (pun unintended)?
>
> Note that C# is in .Net what C is in Unix -- the primary building block language.
>
> But C# also has claims to being higher level than C like java/python etc.

To be fair (and to make the opposite point of what I was making above)
I should describe a recent encounter with some C# folks.
They were doing something in what needed to be a fast loop.
Looking over the code I found some dictionary lookups.
I suggested digesting the dict-key into an int and using arrays instead of dicts.

They did it and got a 10x speedup.

So C# (just as your above cited typical Java programmers) certainly can produce
programmers who are clueless of what's 'under the hood'