Rule of order for dot operators?

C.D. Reimer chris at cdreimer.com
Sun May 17 13:50:53 EDT 2015

On 5/16/2015 6:45 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2015 05:40 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>
>> C.D. Reimer wrote:
>> ^^^^
>> Who?
> Don't be a dick, Thomas. Lots of people use their initials. You use your
> nickname as part of your sender address, why are you questioning somebody
> for using their initials?

I used my initials to hide my online presence from the Real World(tm). If a hiring manager looks up my legal name on the Internet, he or she will find a bunch of Usenet postings when I was a SuSE Linux noob in the 1990's. The only online accounts I have under my legal name is a Yahoo email address and a LinkedIn profile. After working at one employer that allowed anything found on the Internet as ammo in the office politics, a blank online slate provides better protection from such nonsense.

Besides, I got called by my initials in school when the compact discs (CD) became popular. :)

As for my question, my 2007 Core Python Programming book (based on python 2.5) indexed the dot for search operations. Some code examples show a single call (i.e., object.method()) but not multiple calls (i.e., object.method().method()). Since I wasn't sure what I was looking for, an Internet search turned up nothing useful. Hence, IMHO, a noobie question.

Maybe I need a newer python book?

Thank you,

Chris Reimer