Rule of order for dot operators?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat May 16 21:31:52 EDT 2015

On Sun, 17 May 2015 05:20 am, C.D. Reimer wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Noobie question regarding a single line of code that transforms a URL
> slug ("this-is-a-slug") into a title ("This Is A Slug").
>
> title = slug.replace('-',' ').title()
>
> This line also works if I switched the dot operators around.

Technically, dot is not an operator, but even if it was, swapping the *dots*
around makes no difference:

slug.replace('-',' ').title()  => slug.replace('-',' ').title()

Because a dot is a dot, right? What you mean is that you're swapping the
*methods* around, not just the dots:

slug.replace('-',' ').title()  => slug.title().replace('-',' ')

> title = slug.title().replace('-',' ')
>
> I'm reading the first example as character replacement first and title
> capitalization second, and the second example as title capitalization
> first and character replacement second.
>
> Does python perform the dot operators from left to right or according to
> a rule of order (i.e., multiplication/division before add/subtract)?

Left to right.

--
Steven