pip grabs tar.gz file instead of whl?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 15 21:58:29 EDT 2015

On 16/05/2015 02:26, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> The same file installed perfectly when downloaded and installed in two
>> steps.  Whether this is simply a known bug with zipfile handling, pip
>> itself, a combination of both or what I've no idea.
>>
>> I find it slightly irritating that a tool recommended by the Python
>> Packaging Authority behaves in such a way, but then I didn't have to dip
>> into my pocket to pay for it and certainly won't lose any sleep over it as
>> there's such a simple work around.
>
> The way I see it, pip is great for handling the most common case where
> you just want to name a package and say "go fetch", but if you want to
> override its decisions, you should use the lower-level facilities eg
> manual downloading and setup.py. It's like with Debian packages: I can
> type "sudo apt-get install blah" and it'll run off and grab it, check
> its signatures, make sure everything's right, and then install it; but
> if I want to install something from a different location, the best way
> is usually to download it manually, do my own checking, and then "sudo
> dpkg -i blah.deb" to actually install it - no apt-get involvement at
> all. This shouldn't normally be a problem; you don't *have* to use pip
> here, you just want to end up with the package properly installed.
>
> ChrisA

Being on Windows, as I said at the beginning of the thread, the biggest
problem is that setup.py can't find VS if there is no whl file to
install.  Hence it is far easier to get the binaries from elsewhere.
Hopefully this problem will disappear in the future as the whl standard
becomes prevelant.

As for sudo I always thought that was a type of Japanese wrestling :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence