Building CPython

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Fri May 15 06:51:16 EDT 2015

Am 14.05.15 um 20:50 schrieb Terry Reedy:

>> 2) make test - run the entire test suite. Takes just as long every
>> time, but most of it won't have changed.
>
> The test runner has an option, -jn, to run tests in n processes instead
> of just 1.  On my 6 core pentium, -j5 cuts time to almost exactly 1/5th
> of otherwise.  -j10 seems faster but have not times it.  I suspect that
> 'make test' does not use -j option.

Just to clarify, -j is an option of GNU make to run the Makefile in
parallel. Unless the Makefile is buggy, this should result in the same
output. You can also set an environment variable to enable this
permanently (until you log out) like

export MAKEFLAGS=-j5

Put this into your .bashrc or .profile, and it'll become permanent.

	Christian