Building CPython

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Thu May 14 13:32:17 EDT 2015

On 14/05/2015 18:11, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 3:02 AM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> I hope there's a quicker way of re-building an executable after a minor
>> source file change, otherwise doing any sort of development is going to be
>> impractical.)
>
> The whole point of 'make' is to rebuild only the parts that need to be
> rebuilt (either they've changed, or they depend on something that was
> changed). Sometimes practically everything needs to be rebuilt, if you
> do some really fundamental change, but generally not.
>
> The three parts to the build process are:
>
> 1) make - actually generate an executable. Takes ages the first time,
> will be a lot quicker if you haven't changed much.
> 2) make test - run the entire test suite. Takes just as long every
> time, but most of it won't have changed.
> 3) make install (needs root access, so probably 'sudo make install') -
> install this as your primary build of Python.
>
> When you start tinkering, I suggest just running make; rerunning the
> test suite isn't necessary till you're all done, and even then it's
> only important for making sure that your change hasn't broken anything
> anywhere else. Test your actual changes by simply running the
> freshly-built Python - most likely that'll be "./python".

OK, thanks. I didn't even know where the executable was put! Now I don't
need 'make install', while 'make test' I won't bother with any more.

Making a small change and typing 'make' took 5 seconds, which is
reasonable enough (although I had to use the copy of the source in
Windows to find where the main.c file I needed was located).

Now Python 3.4.3 says "Bart's Python".

--
Bartc