use of subprocess module inside generator

Gary Herron gherron at digipen.edu
Wed May 13 17:58:37 EDT 2015

On 05/13/2015 12:43 PM, Peter wrote:

> I'm using Python 3.4.3 on Windows 7 (with latest patches) to develop a
> sqlcmd module for accessing SQL Server (via Microsoft's sqlcmd.exe).
> My goal is to develop a 100% Python 3 module that's easy to use,
> flexible, and by design shifts the majority of future SQL Server
> Python database access maintenance to Microsoft.  So far, I've
> successfully and quickly converted a few of my Python pyodbc
> applications/tools to use this new module.  However, I recently ran
> into an apparent Python issue which cost me a few hours to diagnose
> and work around.

I doubt that you've hit a bug -- we've all done this kind of thing many
times, and there's certainly no restriction on making procedure calls
within a generator -- so that's probably not the problem either.

My guess is that you've misinterpreted the failure of the original
code.  I don't know how that might be, but I do spot one oddity in your
original code which may be responsible.  See below ...

> I'm hoping that someone might know what the root cause of my issue
> was.  Perhaps I've hit a bug/restriction with Python generators?
>
> My original generator function looked like this:
>
> def _raw_data(cl, stdout, *, opath=None, timeout=timeout):
>     stdout = subprocess.check_output(cl, universal_newlines=True,
> timeout=timeout)

This seems muddled -- you pass in a parameter, stdout, only to
immediately overwrite its value with the output of check_output. What
was in stdout originally, and more importantly, did you expect the newly
assigned value from check_output to be returned to the calling
procedure?  If so, that's your bug, because parameters in function calls
don't work that way.

This makes sense with your workaround, since the assignment to stdout is
preserved when done outside the function.

I hope that helps.

Gary Herron

--
Dr. Gary Herron