Basic misunderstanding on object creation

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 13 12:38:27 EDT 2015

On 13/05/2015 14:25, andrew cooke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The following code worked on Python 3.2, but no longer works in 3.4.  Did something change, or have I always been doing something dumb?
>
> (I realise the code is pointless as is - it's the simplest example I can give of a problem I am seeing with more complex code).

> ...     def __new__(cls, *args, **kargs):
> ...         print('new', args, kargs)
> ...         super().__new__(cls, *args, **kargs)
> ...     def __init__(self, a):
> ...         print('init', a)
> new (1,) {}
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>    File "<stdin>", line 4, in __new__
> TypeError: object() takes no parameters
>
> What I was expecting to happen (and what happens in 3.2) is that the object.__new__ method passes the argument to the __init__ of the subclass.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

I'm completely convinced that I've seen a change go through on the bug
tracker that impacts on this area, but many months if not years ago.
Unfortunately searching the bug tracker for super, __new__, __init__ and
so on gets a lot of hits, leaving my Mk1 eyeballs overworked.  At least
I've tried but sorry, had to give up :(

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence