Instead of deciding between Python or Lisp for a programming intro course...What about an intro course that uses *BOTH*? Good idea?

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed May 13 03:19:29 EDT 2015

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> "I want to do numerical calculations" lead to Fortran.
>
> "I want to control telescopes" lead to Forth.

I don't think those things led to their respective languages
in the same way. The notation that mathematicians use for
numerical calculations had a clear influence on the syntax
of Fortran. But there's nothing about controlling telescopes
that makes the structure of Forth particularly suited to it.

I think there *is* a design principle behind Forth: the
desire to keep everything as simple as possible. It's a
lot like Lisp in that respect.

--
Greg