Suggestion: PEP for tracking vulnerable packages within PyPI

Grant Murphy grantcmurphy at gmail.com
Tue May 12 15:46:35 EDT 2015

Hi,

When pulling in a dependency via pip it is currently difficult to reason about
whether there are any vulnerabilities associated with the package version you
are using. I think the Python package management infrastructure could be
extended to facilitate this capability reasonably easily. PyPI already
contains a lot of metadata around package owners and releases available.
Adding the ability to flag a release as having a vulnerability and CVE
associated with it seems like a reasonable addition to me.

Currently there are some projects that are trying to track this information [1],
however by including this type of information as a part of the main Python
infrastructure I think it would encourage better vulnerability management
practices within the community.

I'd like some feedback on how to move forward with this suggestion. Does
this seem like something that could be worth turning into a PEP?

1. https://github.com/victims/victims-cve-db

- Grant