anomaly

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Tue May 12 08:31:57 EDT 2015

Op 11-05-15 om 17:44 schreef Steven D'Aprano:
> On Mon, 11 May 2015 11:27 pm, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>> The point is that all too often someone wants to defend a specific choice
>> the developers have made and cites some general rule or principle in
>> support, ignoring the fact that python breaks that rule/principle in other
>> area's.
>
> "It's a free country, you can do what you like."
>
> "No I can't, I'm not allowed to kill people."
>
> "Um, okay."
>

> Just because there are exceptions to a rule doesn't mean it isn't a general
> rule. A few exceptions are just exceptions, they don't invalidate the fact
> that "consenting adults" is a basic design principle of Python.

There is a difference between a basic design principle and a justification
for a particular instance. Answering the latter with the first as if the
first is all there is to it, is being simplistic.

Especially when there are multiple general rules that tend to conflict
with each other and more than once people just pick a rule that supports
them and ignore the rest.

--
Antoon Pardon