anomaly

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon May 11 22:18:45 EDT 2015

On Tue, 12 May 2015 06:48 am, Mel Wilson wrote:

> On Tue, 12 May 2015 02:35:23 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>>> Read Cory Doctorow lately on the War Against General Purpose Computing,
>>> where a bunch of people who don't really understand are trying to make
>>> it impossible for any computer to do something that is The Wrong Thing.
>>
>> I think you are conflating two different ideas of "the Wrong Thing".
>
> I don't think so.  A formal solution to a problem, i.e. a solution coded
> as a computer program, is limited to the things that can be done using
> formal techniques.  Whether it's people trying to enact their social
> standards in code, or whether it's people trying to nail the door shut
> against everything they "don't expect", or "think is illogical", the
> limits will still be there.

Do you think that Python is part of Doctorow's war against general purpose
computing because it doesn't have a GOTO command?

Do you think that using Python reduces your control over your computer
because Python code has well-defined integer overflow behaviour?

When you have had a bug in your code, and Python has raised an exception
with a nice traceback and an informative error message, how many times have
you thought "I wish Python would just seg fault"?

--
Steven