Instead of deciding between Python or Lisp for a programming intro course...What about an intro course that uses *BOTH*? Good idea?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun May 10 22:33:01 EDT 2015

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 2:46:38 AM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Chris Seberino :
>
> > Instead of learning only Scheme or only Python for a one semester
> > intro course, what about learning BOTH? Maybe that could somehow get
> > the benefits of both?
> >
> > I'm thinking that for the VERY beginning, Scheme is the fastest
> > language to get beginners up and running writing code due to the
> > extremely minimal simple syntax.
>
> Scheme is my favorite language. I think, however, it is a pretty
> advanced language and requires a pretty solid basis in programming and
> computer science.

Have you seen this?
http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs61a/sp12/book/

Yeah from a certain pov scheme is so advanced that even Abelson and Sussman dont
quite get it: http://blog.languager.org/2013/08/applying-si-on-sicp.html
So (from that pov) how reasonable is it to expect students to get it?

Also good to see:
http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/dat/miranda/wadler87.pdf