Instead of deciding between Python or Lisp for a programming intro course...What about an intro course that uses *BOTH*? Good idea?

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Sun May 10 16:59:52 EDT 2015

On Sun, 10 May 2015 13:43:03 -0700, Chris Seberino wrote:

> Instead of learning only Scheme or only Python for a one semester intro
> course, what about learning BOTH?  Maybe that could somehow get the
> benefits of both?
>
> I'm thinking that for the VERY beginning, Scheme is the fastest language
> to get beginners up and running writing code due to the extremely
> minimal simple syntax.
>
> I'm thinking half way into the semester, instead of moving into
> intermediate Scheme, perhaps that is a good time to switch to Python?
>
> Would a little strong intro to 2 nice languages in one semester be
> same/good/worse/better than just 1?

The first course I took, we learned Algol-60, then when we couldn't get
computer time for compiles, we were asked to pick up FORTRAN-IV on the
side.  So we "published" our solutions to the class problems in Algol and
re-wrote them to be run in FORTRAN.  It was a fine first-hand look at
what the "general purpose" in General Purpose Computer really meant.
There was no confusing the machine and the language after that.  Scheme/
Python would be even more radical, I think.  If you can put them across
effectively, I say go for it.

	Mel.