IDLE Restoration

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 8 12:16:43 EDT 2015

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 2:06 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
<PointedEars at web.de> wrote:
> Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> Are you hoping to have the IDLE editor restore the fact that you had
>> files X, Y, and Z open, or are you hoping to have the interactive
>> interpreter retain your entire history of commands and their results?
>> The former is reasonably plausible (and may well be possible already -
>> Terry?), but the latter is quite impractical.
>
> Various shells do the latter.  I do not see why that would be impractical,
> on the contrary.

Exactly what do they recall? A textual form of the scrollback? That
wouldn't be too hard. But what about all your working state - assigned
globals, changed state of imported modules (eg random number seed),
etc, etc, etc? An active Python session is a *lot* more than a shell
session scrollback, because "their results" could literally be any
Python objects.

ChrisA