PEP idea: On Windows, subprocess should implicitly support .bat and .cmd scripts by using FindExecutable from win32 API

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu May 7 22:26:05 EDT 2015

> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 1:24 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> >> That's Python's job. Abstracting away all those differences so you
> >> don't have to look at them.
> >
> > That's the difference between our opinions: you want Python to work
> > the same on different OS's. I want Python's system programming
> > facilities to closely mirror those of C.
>
> In that case, what you should do is devise an alternative language
> that compiles as a thin layer over C. […] But you don't want a high
> level language, if your greatest goal is "closely mirror C".

+1.

Marko, you have many times criticised Python on the basis, essentially,
that it is not some other platform. It's quite unproductive, and leads
only to discussions that are at best frustrating for all involved.

If you want a platform that is fundamentally different from Python,
there are plenty available for you. Arguing that Python should be
fundamentally different will not avail us anything good.

--
 \      “Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a |
  `\        finite world is either a madman or an economist.” —Kenneth |