[SciPy-User] Is there existing code to log-with-bells-on for runtime algorithm diagnostics?

Rob Clewley rob.clewley at gmail.com
Wed May 6 19:31:09 EDT 2015

Just to follow up on this thread, for interested readers' future reference...

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Rob Clewley <rob.clewley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In fact, I'm trying to build a general purpose tool for exploring the
>> inner workings of numerical algorithms for teaching and learning
>> purposes, e.g. for graduate student training or for figuring out
>> parameter choices in difficult applications.
>
> The term you want to search for is "structured logging".
>
> http://www.structlog.org/en/stable/
> http://eliot.readthedocs.org/en/stable/
> https://twiggy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/logging.html#structured-logging
> http://netlogger.lbl.gov/

I posted a new blog entry about my prototypical diagnosis and
visualization tools for python numerical algorithms, built over
matplotlib:
http://robclewley.github.io/logging-and-diagnostic-tools-for-numeric-python-algorithms/

They utilize structlog, and I hooked up a noSQL DB (tinydb) to the
logging to enable search capabilities of the log post-mortem. Comments
and PRs most welcome.

Thanks to everyone for the pointers.
-Rob