asyncio: What is the difference between tasks, futures, and coroutines?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed May 6 00:47:17 EDT 2015

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 11:15:42 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Personally, I have never found futures a very useful idiom in any
> language (Scheme, Java, Python). Or more to the point, concurrency and
> the notion of a function don't gel well in my mind.

Interesting comment.

It strikes me that the FP crowd has stretched the notion of function beyond recognition
And the imperative/OO folks have distorted it beyond redemption.

And the middle road shown by Pascal has been overgrown with weeds for some 40 years...

If the classic Pascal (or Fortran or Basic) sibling balanced abstractions of function-for-value
procedure-for-effect were more in the collective consciousness rather than C's
travesty of function, things might not have been so messy.

Well... Dont feel right bashing C without some history...

C didn't start the mess of mixing procedure and function -- Lisp/Apl did.
Nor the confusion of = for assignment; Fortran did that.