Step further with filebasedMessages

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Tue May 5 06:14:27 EDT 2015

Op Tuesday 5 May 2015 11:20 CEST schreef Chris Angelico:

> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM, Cecil Westerhof <Cecil at decebal.nl> wrote:
>> I now defined get_message_slice:
>
> You're doing a lot of work involving flat-file storage of sequential
> data. There are two possibilities:
>
> 1) Your files are small, so you shouldn't concern yourself with
> details at all - just do whatever looks reasonable, nothing will
> matter;

In my case the files are very small. Biggest is 150 lines. But if you
publish your code, you never know in which situation it will be used.

The suggestion implement a slice came from this newsgroup. ;-) And I
found it a good idea.

It is also to get reacquainted with Python.

> or 2) Your files are bigger than that, performance might be
> a problem (especially when your Big Oh starts looking bad), and you
> should move to a database.
>
> Maybe even with small files, a database would be cleaner. You can
> grab whichever rows you want based on their IDs, and the database
> will do the work for you. Grab SQLite3 or PostgreSQL, give it a
> whirl - you may find that it does everything you need, right out of
> the box.

Is a next step. I want to use PostgreSQL with SQLAlchemy.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer